Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Dinner tonight...SO GOOD!

Tonight I made pot roast w/red potatoes/carrots in the slow cooker with green beans on the side and corn-bread muffins. And for dessert...applesauce cake w/brown sugar topping *drool* Best thing about this dinner...it wasn't expensive! I got the chuck roast for only $4 where it was normally $14!
(about the black spots on my cornbread muffins....those are from my muffin pan *blush*)

APPLE SAUCE CAKE
1/2 c. shortening
2 eggs, beaten
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. raisins
Cream shortening with sugar. Beat eggs and add to sugar mixture. Add apple sauce. Sift together the dry ingredients and add to apple sauce mixture. Stir in the raisins. Bake in loaf pans or square pans at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes. This cake is very moist. You can substitute nuts for raisins. It keeps well.

As for the pot roast, I did nothing special to it...just cooked my roast until brown (on high) then added 1 cup water, sliced red potatoes, onions and baby carrots then cooked on low for about an hour. (salted/peppered/sprinkle of garlic salt)


7 comments:

La, La, La, Laini! said...

Looks great!

Mrs.Frugal said...

thanks! it was delicious! :)

Jenni said...

The applesauce cake looks like a good frugal dessert, how does it taste? Sweet, or more like a bread?

Thad and Ann said...

yummy!! Our family loves cornbread! Your whole meal looks sooo good. BTW, I also freeze a ton of cookies, my DH loves to take them along for his breaks at work.

Mrs.Frugal said...

thanks! the applesauce cake is sweet and i used sweetened applesauce instead of the unsweetened that the recipe calls for....my dh LOVED it and i used it in his lunches for work :-)

Justin and Michelle said...

I got here from diaperswappers...the applesauce cake sounds yummy! I think I'm going to try that this week.

Mrs.Frugal said...

awesome! let me know what ya think :)